Sunday, March 28, 2010

My home is my office


Some days, the reality of the life as a fulltime mom and housewife hits me in the head like a sledgehammer. Every day of my life is mapped out by the childrens naptimes, meals and with a few lovely tantrums to interrupt our daily routine to make it all a bit more interesting.

At the moment my home is my office and I am the office manager. I don't have a job to go to. I can only activate my brain to a level involving playdoe, fingerpaint and my little pony and I need complete authority in my home otherwise I will lose my identity and purpose completely. I need to have control over the situation and have a routine. It's like a safety net and I know - if we stick to it, the day will be pretty good.

Then the weekend comes and daddy is home......
And as fun as it is, adding an additional person and additional will to the equation is not always easy.
The girls and I know that every day we nap at a certain time, we are out the door at at a certain time and we eat at a certain time. We all know what is happening next so we are prepared and can end each day on a happy and balanced note.

On the weekend, now we have another mind to question my dictatorship. A mind I can't put in time-out - eventhough it's tempting at times - and things tend to get a bit rocky. Before we leave the house manic cleaning of the kitchen has to occur, last minute bathroom breaks, searches for lost wallets just to name a few.
As a result we're going to have a late start leaving the house and as a domino-effect our daily routine is out the window. The afternoon will be hell and/or Fred starts to free-style the girls naptime and puts Heidi to bed when it's not the right time and the same result - an unbareable afternoon.
Family life and motherhood is hard and I wish we could live closer to our families and get a bit of help when we need a break.
Eventhough I have been quite negative in this blog doesn't mean that Im not having the best little girls ever and the best husband ever. I wouldn't change it for anything!
Love
Fridaxx









4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It makes us realy sad to read your words.
I wish we could live closer to you.
Would you feel a bit better if you know we will come to visit you around 19 june for some weeks?

We miss you!!!

Love

Grand mum and Stellan

David W said...

You're not alone with this situation. Fortunately or unfortunately, it sounds pretty standard fare to me. When do things get better? Hopefully before they're grown up and ready to leave home, however I have a sneaking suspicion that every age will bring its challenges. Hey, you already have Chloe sleeping through the night - chalk that up as an early win!

Team Drouin said...

Thanks for the support guys! Just going through a rough patch... xxx

Moa said...

Lot of love and sympathies coming your way. If you need a break, let me know and I will help if I can. Other people's kids are easier to handle than your own ;) You could drop them off and go have some Frida time.